by Shannon Farley
For cruise ship passengers arriving to the Port of Limon, Costa Rica on the Caribbean Coast, a top Costa Rica shore excursion that lets you experience the Costa Rica rainforest and its exotic wildlife is Veragua Rainforest Eco-Adventure.
Costa Rica is famous for its rainforests, nature, diverse wildlife and adventure tours. Veragua’s all-in-one rainforest adventure maximizes your time to enjoy the best attractions of Costa Rica during your one day in port.
1. Location: less than an hour away from the cruise ship pier at Limon. Minimal travel time means more time in the rainforest.
2. Real Rainforest: This is real rainforest, not Disneyland. The 3,212-acre (1,300-hectare) Veragua Rainforest Eco-Adventure park is located in the breathtaking tropical rainforest bordering the renowned La Amistad International Park.
3. Multiple activities in one location: Attractions at the award-winning adventure park include an aerial tram, canopy zip line tour, rainforest hiking trails, waterfalls, butterfly garden, frog habitat, reptile habitat, and an insectarium.
4. Wildlife: In addition to Veragua Rainforest’s fascinating wildlife habitats, hundreds of species of tropical and migratory birds and exotic butterflies fly through the forest here. Howler and white-faced monkeys roam the treetops, and brightly colored poison-dart frogs join rare salamanders and other lizards on the forest floor. Keep your eyes open – you never know what you may see!
5. Scientific investigation center: Veragua’s team of on-site biologists conducts important national scientific research here. You can see what they’re up to at the science labs.
6. First-rate facilities: You can enjoy an excellent Costa Rican lunch and snacks at Veragua’s Rainforest Café. Buy souvenirs to remember your trip at the Congo Arts & Crafts Gift Shop. Veragua Rainforest is accessible for all visitors. All pathways and trails are wheelchair and stroller accessible, with the exception of the Puma Waterfall trail and the hiking Trail of the Brave.
Limon, Costa Rica shore excursions at Veragua Rainforest
Veragua Rainforest Eco-Adventure has half-day and full-day shore excursions available.
Half-day Awesome Research & Adventure Program (pier-to-pier 5½ hours; on-site tour time 3½ hours)
The Veragua Rainforest Eco-Adventure tour includes:
- A fun aerial tram ride through the rainforest canopy
- Walking trails by a river under giant trees
- Visit a beautiful waterfall
- Tour the largest indoor nocturnal and diurnal frog exhibit in the world
- Visit a state-of-the-art reptile habitat
- See an insectarium
- Tour a huge butterfly garden filled with some of the world’s most colorful butterflies
- Visit the biological research station managed by the Costa Rica National Institute of Biodiversity (INBio)
- Snacks are included
Full-day Super Adventure Combo Program (pier-to-pier 7½ hours; on-site tour time 5½ hours)
This Costa Rica day tour includes all of the activities in the half-day tour described above, and The Original Canopy Tour® zip lines. Featured on Discovery Channel, National Geographic, and Travel Channel, the exhilarating canopy zip line ride consists of nine zip lines and observation platforms. Lunch at Veragua is included on the full-day tour.
“LOVED the rainforest. We had so much fun, seeing a frog, snake and butterfly exhibit. We then got to walk a path that brought you to an aerial tram. That took you down the side of the mountain to another trail, which brought you to a waterfall. There is so much to see along the trail. I told my wife, ‘It’s like the world’s biggest seek and find game.’ You may see a frog, insect, caterpillar, centipede … you just never know! The rainforest is beautiful and the guide we had was outstanding!!!!” wrote a guest from Celebrity Cruises on Cruise Critic.
Veragua Rainforest Eco-Adventure is open Tuesday to Sunday (and cruise ship Mondays), from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Entrance is free for children under 4 years old. Veragua Rainforest Eco-Adventure tours and The Original Canopy Tour® zip line tours start every hour on the hour; the last tour begins at 3:00 p.m. Tel: +506 4000-0949.